View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
Yorkiedaze
My hairy-legged girls
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehaze View Post
I was hoping to get some opinions on potty training methods. Crate training, going outside, or potty pads? I've never crate trained or had a puppy use potty pads. I've been taking Watson outside to potty the last 2 days. I have a doggy door that my Boxer use to use. But I don't think I trust my yorkie going outside alone later on when he's bigger. The back yard is secure (for the puppy) and very large but I'm afraid someone would try to take him

What are the benefits that you've noticed with potty pads and crate training? As well as the downfalls if any? It seems to be in the "norm" for a small breed to use potty pads so I'm very curious about them. Do they hold odor?
Not just people stealing small dogs, but birds of prey including owls during the day, so don't let your boy go out alone. Always be with him. I have a large back yard too, but I have sectioned off just a tiny area and go out with them. I'm afraid they would run to the other side and then a bird would come swooping down after one. No thanks!
I put mine when they were babies, in the expen attached to a wire crate. I placed a blanket over the crate and of course thick soft bedding inside. I put pee pads at one end and water at the other. I put in a couple of toys and chews. I then took them outside every hour to potty and run around and for training. They are pad and outside trained which I just love. This way they have their pads on rainy days, in the coach and traveling. On the airline you can take pup and pee pad to the restroom and while your going, they can go too. Or during layovers you can do the same. We use to go into motels when traveling and the pads are perfect. We didn't have to go out at night, or in the rain, or in the morning before we had showers and cleaned up. I think having them trained to outside and the pad is the best thing in the world.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!