Thread: possible UTI ??
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

I forgot to mention that cystocentisis is not very expensive. Here in the overpriced northeast, it is about $28 and a urinalysis is $40.

Also I would like to share my recent experience with you. My dog Daisy had to undergo surgery and routine bloodwork and urine was taken in preparation for the surgery. She had no symptoms of a UTI but her urinalysis showed not only an E. coli infection but also an abnormal specific gravity and other irregularities. We treated her with Clavamox, a commonly prescribed UTI antibiotic. She was re-tested to see if the infection cleared and guess what? It did not. To make a long story short, she had an infection in the bladder that crept up to the kidney and the only reason we even knew about it was because we did lab testing. She had to be placed on a second antibiotic, Simplicef for 6 weeks. Daisy is almost 11 and has many medical problems. If untreated, this infection could have lingered and lingered and possibly resulted in kidney damage. And we would not have known unless we did a urinalysis!

I also would rather be $28 or $40 poorer than to gamble with my dogs. I would personally run from a vet who did not offer me a urinalysis if my dog had symptoms of a UTI. I can't stand outmoded ancient vets - time for retirement!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!