View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

I had an elderly Maltese with Cognitive Dysfunction or Dementia. He was deaf, blind, incontinent, and would pace and pace for hours in circles. It was really sad. He didn't like to go outside anymore because I guess he coudn't see us and didn't know what to do. He really didn't even know if we were home unless we touched him.

We tried the Anipryl but did not seem to help him; perhaps he was too far advanced.

I suggest having a long talk with your vet. (Which I failed to do). I knew it was time when I came home from vacation and the Vet's boarding Kennel, where he had gone all his life; told me he could not come back. Apparently he soiled his crate very day and then would pace and pace in it until his feet had to be medicated and he had to be bathed every day. This was my trusted Vet's office telling me he could not come back!

I waited another long year; a year of frustration for me; and another year of basic lifelessness for Casper; then did what I knew I had to do. The Vet's office told me later, that I had probably kept him around a little too long.

So I have no answers for you; it's really hard when they don't have a life-threatening disease - then you KNOW what to do. But when it's just old age and dementia; it's harder.

Here's my thought: when I get to the point where anyone is considering putting diapers on me ~ give me the shot.

Peace to you; courage and wisdom as well.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!