View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
kjcmsw
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiedaze View Post
Please, don't get a dog with LP if you can help it. I bought my first two Yorkies within two months from the same breeder who shows them, and both have/had LP. I got the third one from someone who doesn't even show these dogs, and she's VERY healthy and no LP. Find a puppy closer to you so you can be on top of this and don't get a dog sight unseen anyway. Good luck with your next baby.

It's important to remember just because someone "shows" dogs does not mean that the dog is automatically healthy or worth a steep price. Best in show does not equate to best in health. Buy health over show presence.
I don't show (though my pups come from show stock and for someone wanting to show they are as good of a show potential as most others) and have one pup left for sale who has been thoroughly examined, x-rays showing no joint/knee/et al issues and the vet said the pups were "incredible healthy, excellent representations of the breed, and very fit for sale", I've had to lower the price to $600 on the boy because boys just don't sell well in my area...price doesn't equate to health.
Don't automatically think a high price means quality and a low price means non-quality. I just want to get my boy placed while young, thus the reduced price.
It's a double edged sword, some think a lower price means they aren't quality and when the price is set high people think the pup must be perfect - but a person runs the risk the pup won't sell as fast and won't find its home while young with a high price. I think it's important to talk with the breeder, exam the health records, even speak to the vet that examined the pup. I give people the vet records and phone # to the vet, welcome them to call on them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!