View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popitup View Post
My Yorkie has been diagnosed with luxating patella. My vet recommends surgery. She is only 4 pounds. What do I do. I have read that the surgery is no always effective. If any one can help me I would really appreciate it
First, welcome to YT. You definitely find a lot of information on here.

What grade did your vet say it was and did he take xrays to determine the diagnosis?

You should have a board certified ortho vet who is familiar with little dogs see your little one and take xrays before any surgery. Once he determines if surgery is necessary, he should go over the different types of lp procedures with you and discuss options.

Once the surgery is over, there will be a recuperation period of at least 6 weeks.

My boy had lp surgery almost 2 years ago and he is much better. I was a complete basket case before and during but once I got the phone call saying that the surgery was over and he was awake, I felt like the weight of the world was off my shoulders. I couldn't wait to pick him up the next day. If you can, have someone pick her up with you because I know with me, I didn't hear a word the surgeon said after I got Hot Rod back in my arms.

Hope this helps answer some questions. You can go to the Sick and Injured forum and search lp surgery and read other stories and recommendations. Feel free to private message me with any questions that you may have. Best of luck with what you decide.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!