View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Alexander View Post
Good Afternoon YT,
I'm a new yorkie owner and Storm is a great puppy, He is 7 months but I have a few questions/issues that hopefully someone can help me with. We have had Storm now since Dec. 28 but my issues are...
**He will not play with any toys which I have purchase many none seems to entertain him...
**He will not play at all even though I try he just wants to lay in his bed and sleep, the breeder mom had him before we purchase him and she kept him on her lap most of the day...
**I work from 7am till 430 pm and was wondering a good feeding schedule for him or should I just leave food out? (he is not potty or crate trained)
** We are transferring (US Navy) in June to Bahrain (Middle East) so I'm thinking to wait and potty train him since there is a major time difference or should I start now? He is Pee Pad trained a little when it comes to Peeing but he just Poo wherever he feels which is usually in my kitchen any suggestions on this as well...
I think this is all for now, thanks so much for your help.
I'm slightly concerned that you say your pup prefers to sleep. Is he active at all? Has he had a recent wellness check with the vet?

Relative to toys, I agree some dogs aren't really toy motivated. However, I do remember with Max, I had to really work with him on how to play with toys. It took a few weeks of sort of teasing him with squeaky toys before he finally learned the concept of fetch. He also liked kibble in the Kong.

Definitely work on the potty training now. Limit his freedom in your home to a smallish area with his piddle pad. When you are home, supervise as closely as possible and try to watch for the signs that he needs to potty. Direct him or take him to the pad and use key words or phrases to encourage him to potty. When he does it correctly, praise him profusely, "Good boy! Good potty!!" and give him a small treat. Some dogs may not want to poop where they pee, or they want a fresh pad. Try putting out a second pad or make sure to have a fresh one when you think it is time for him to poop. Don't scold for accidents. If he poops in the kitchen, pick it up, show him that you take it to the pad, tell him that is where he should potty, and then dispose of it...in a happy manner. The disposal process is part of the satisfaction to my boys.

Also, use an enzyme cleaner or white vinegar/water solution to thoroughly clean the scent of accident spots that may attract your boy to return and potty there again.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!