View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
lmperez
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
Yes, I do. My dog Teddy has Cerebellar Hypoplasia characterized by the presence of Intention Tremors. His condition is static and mild. There is no treatment for the disorder.

It is congenital but may not necessarily be due to genetics as many dogs can have this as a result of a birth injury or hypoxia shortly before birth.

It is very important to rule out the cause of any tremors or head bobbing that may be due to something other than Cerebellar Hypoplasia. A neurologist should be involved to determine what diagnostic tests are needed. In our case, Teddy also had seizures. We sought the involvement of a board certified neurologist and had Teddy undergo testing (MRI and spinal tap, as well as all kinds of blood work) in order to make sure we were not missing anything.

By the way, Teddy's tremors and head bobbing and unsteady gait were noted at 10 weeks old when I got him from his breeder and probably sooner. He is now just over 2 years old and living a normal life.

I have had her since she was 5 mos old. dropped off at animal shelter to be put down. She is now 2.5 yrs old. She has been to 3 different vetsall concluded cerebellar hypopisa and 2 neurologists. The first neuro thought she had hydrocephalus and would probably die within months of me having her. He put her on steroids to stop or slow down the production of spinal fluid. After 2days I noticed her becoming very lethargic and almost non responsive. Called him back and he was surprised of her reaction and told me to stop. Within a day she was back to her spunky self and very alert. He concluded that it was not Hydrocephalus. He thought maybe to do an MRI.To be honest after he alsmost killed her I kind of lost faith in him and got a second opinion from another neurologist. This guy took so much time with her and was paitient with me. He concluded CH and when I asked about doing an MRI he said you could but it will not change anything so I would not recommend it. She has no seizures, eats and drinks indep. plays with toys and her fursisters and brothers, She is very awre of her surroundings. She barks at me if I ignore her. She wants to be picked up and carried. She does have the intention tremors not so much the head bobs but she does have a hard time uprighting her self and staying that way for a long period of time. She does get around though. When I am home she is all over the living room. If I am in the kitchen she will squrim her way in there. If my husband sits on the couch she goes over to him and barks to be picked up. she will come to me when I call her just takes a little while. LOL. We love her dearly and I would do it all agin. It would just be nice to talk to others to see if I can do something different for her that I did think about to improve her quality of life. By the way the neurologist was impressed by her. He did say she appears to be a little happy girl and said if I was willing to keep her she will have a long life. OF COURSE I WILL KEEP HER!!!! I just try to adapt her envirnoment to siut her needs. It is a never ending challenge to make her life more comfortable.
lmperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!