View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #25
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
But they originated bigger and were meant to be bigger. I sure wish they were all breed bigger like they originated because then people wouldnt be buying them just for accessories.
Totally agree. I do think that if the breed was a little bit larger, they wouldn't be so sought after (which would be a good thing, IMO). The same thing happens with Chihuahua's. Because people see them with celebrities in their purses, or as accessories, and they think they want the breed... if they saw more 10lb Yorkies (and NOT that that is by any means a 'big' dog), I'm sure more people would be "turned off" by them (not necessarily by us dog 'enthusiasts' here but general public).

I do understand the need and desire to preserve the breed and I know the standard has been 7lbs and under for quite a while now. But I do wish the standard was raised a little higher and I think it may turn off some BYB's because they wouldn't be breeding to accommodate the public anymore if they aren't as sought after. And also, say it was raised to 10lbs and under, then the BYB's, etc, that are still breeding would probably wind up calling 7lb'ers 'teacups' or whatever... but to me, that's better than these greeders selling little 2lb dogs to people.

I don't know, I just don't see a reason why they have to be so small. Obviously you all are going to think I'm biased since I have a 'teapot' myself, LOL, and I guess I am a little bit. But, Papillons, for example, have a very extreme weight difference which I think is awesome. Because you are still getting the same breed and temperament (for the most part) in a larger variety of sizes. I attached a picture of a Papillon at the top of the standard and at the bottom of the standard.
Attached Thumbnails
Met a lady who says she has teapots-dallasjoule.jpg  
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!