Thread: tear stains
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Wabbit
Love my little flowers
Donating Member

I just posted to this same question in another thread:

When the area around the eyes stays moist due to excessive tearing, red yeast bacteria start to develop into the staining you see. The causes of excessive tearing can be many and varied, including but not limited to genetics, health, diet, fleas, bacterial infection, ear infections, cutting teeth (in puppies), irritation, high mineral content in the dog's drinking water, blocked tear ducts, etc.

Keeping the eye area wiped clean daily will help and you might even consider having your dog's groomer carefully shave the area so as to prevent excessive red yeast bacteria build-up.

Also Many common dog food ingredients can cause staining in some dogs. What are you feeding? Your water can be the problem, too.

Also you could give them ONLY Distilled water to drink...I've heard that really helps!

As you trim the stained fur.....and deal with the possible issues..it should whiten up.

I don't think there's a quick fix. I would wipe the eyes 2-3x/day with a sterile 2 x 2 gauze pad with a contact lens saline solution (buy the store brand) and that could keep the staining to a minimum.

Eyes weeping is mainly caused by lack of good nutrition, but there could be another reason. Putting your dog on a premium food most of the times helps with this.
RIP Honey Rose & Jasmine

Last edited by Wabbit; 02-09-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!