View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
dottiesyrky
Donating YT Addict

Default Belly Band Problem, help!

My (very smart and learns fast!!) 2 yr old Yorkie, whom I adopted at 1.5 yrs, was pretty well potty trained but did have the occasional pee in the house when we did not understand the signs yet that he wanted to go, and also if we left him to roam free if we were out for a few hours.
We started to use the belly band if we went out, to be safe, and he never peed with it on. Last week after we got back I asked my husband to take the dog out for a pee. The dog had the (then dry) belly band on from when we left him, and I supposed my hubby would take it off before taking the dog out. WRONG!!! My hubby left the band ON, put the leash on and took the dog for a walk/pee. The poor dog peed in the band as I assume he thought that is what we wanted him to do and also he needed to pee bad after being kept in.
I was MAD as I thought it was against all I had taught the dog, i.e. he did not pee with the BB on. Now my hubby led the dog out when he needed to pee and the poor dog then HAD to pee in the BB. As the dog learns fast I feared the BB band would not work because of this incident, and I did not use it for some time. Well tonight I tried putting the BB on while we were in the house to check. He peed in the BB after it had been on only for about 15 mins and the dog did not NEED to go as he had been out only 20 minutes before.
What can I do to re-teach my dog that he should not pee with the band on???
It was an easy and safe way to keep him dry and now I only seem to have the crate method to achieve the same result???
Any ideas please?? Thanks.
dottiesyrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!