View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Islandcanine
Senior Yorkie Talker

I suspect that your dog has yeast problems but that is only my opinion.
Do not allow steroids as if this were the case, it will only make it worse.
Cut out anything with wheat and sugar in it.
Including high glycemic vegetables.
Go for a high quality brand of kibble. Try Go Naturals, Salmon Formula. It does have oatmeal in it but is low glycemic.
Yeast loves sugar.
Cut out the Sugary foods.
In the meantime, try to find your dog a holistic animal doctor so they can treat the dog from the inside out, not just the symptoms.

If you are going to cook for your dog, IE: Chicken and rice..
This is a whole other ball game. You need to do your research.

Let me just say this: Do not feed her rice, brown or white, right now. Instead boil her a chicken breast and chicken leg. This will give her a bit of brown and white chicken meat. You are going to boil it lightly but cooked through. Then mince a small amount. Boil and drain well equal portions of two Cruciferous vegetables. Mash. Measure a ratio of 25% veg to 75% animal protein. Add a tsp of whole fat yogurt that contains active bacteria. Balkin Style by Astro is a good one. Be sure to keep a bowl of either filtered or distilled water available for the dog at all times. Fresh daily. Do Not Feed Your Dog Tap Water.
What brand of kibble are you feeding you dog right now?
In order to avoid having to supplement a home cooked diet, be sure she is getting at least 50% or more of kibble a day. For Example: if she eats 1/2 cup a food a day, be sure 1/2 cup of it is kibble and no more than a 1/4c of cooked food.

Avoid treats and uncooked vegetables for right now.
Invest in a decent premium kibble. Avoid any kibble with corn or wheat anything in the first 7 ingredients.
Avoid a kibble that has any high glycemic vegetable in the first seven ingredients as well. IE: Carrots, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes.
Hope this helps.
I am sorry to read your dog is having these problems.

My dog was itching. He eyes were goopy. I took her off the high glycemic vegetables (I cook for my dog 50/50) and increased her animal protein. No more itching and her eyes have improved ten fold!
I also switched her kibble to a low glycemic one.

I bath her once a week because it soothes her skin.
Right now we are killing off the bad yeast and replenishing her GI with good flora by way of a tich of whole fat yogurt and probitotic for dogs.

What ever you do, try to go Natural. Everything natural as anything chemical, harsh steroids or medications, including medicated shampoo will irritate the problem more.

If the above doesn't help, then your dog may be allergic to something in your home or perhaps another animal/ Do you have other animals?

Are you sure that you dog doesn't have fleas?
Fleas can cause serious skin problems if left unchecked.
Does her skin and ears smell funny? If so, I would think she has a yeast imbalance.

Do Not Take her to a general vet for this problem.
It is better to take her to a holistic vet who will treat the dog naturally. Way easier on the dog!

Last edited by Islandcanine; 02-07-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Typo gramical error
Islandcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!