Thread: Teeth
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
Islandcanine
Senior Yorkie Talker

There are some very good answers here. Furbaby Friend made some really good points to get your dog used to the tooth brush.
I have never had a problem brushing Roxy's teeth except for the type of brush I was trying to use when we first started. It was Way too big. A finger brus. They simply are not made for a Yorkies mouth. I opted for a baby tooth brush. Soft bristle.

Start wit moistening your finger and massaging the pups gums and teeth. Start small and gradually you will be able to more at a time. Let them taste the (doggie) toothpaste off your finger. Only just a little tiny bit and Do Not use people toothpaste under any circumstances.
Once they get used of the toothpaste put some on your finger and rub their teeth with it.

Now for Roxy, with all her grooming needs, I use a specific table for her. Each and every time she has her teeth brushed, her pad hair trimmed, her face washed etc, she is always put on the same table. This way she gets used of the routine. After awhile, the dog will come to understand that this is where they have this and that done, so they know what to expect and soon will take part without fuss. I know Roxy looks forward to all the fussing over her. A true girl who loves to be clean etc.
When I go to brush Roxy's teeth, I have a dish of filtered water and I dab a dot of toothpaste on the table surface. I never reapply toothpaste from the tube, midst of brushing. Just not good hygenine.
I have Roxy facing away from me (so our faces are looking in the same direction).
I get my finger wet and with the other hand, holding the tooth brush with a bit of toothpaste applied. Only a bit. A little goes a long ways!
I will take the wet finger and slide it into the side of her mouth and with the other hand I put the tooth brush in and start brushing from the back forward, top first. Then I rinse the brush in running water, dap a bit more toothpaste, wet my finger and do it again, going from the back and brush the top teeth. I repeat this on both sides and then we do the fronts.
Very IMportant. Do Not Apply Any Pressure at all. The brush should be held very loosely in your hand and just brush very very gently.
Also brush on a 45 degree angle to the teeth you are brushing. Not straight on and be sure to try to stay away from scraping (brushing) the gums when you are meaning to get the teeth.
With each step and while you are brushing, praise praise praise. Start with small increments and break lots until the dog builds up endurance to the idea. Always praise.
If the dog pulls away, this could be a very good indicator that they either don't like the way you are doing things, the pressure is too much, hair is getting in the mouth with the tooth brush or perhaps the dog has sensitive teeth, an bad tooth, or gums or maybe just needs more time. OR Maybe invest in a different tooth brush. Roxy has two tooth brushes. She prefers one over the other.
How can I tell?
Her reaction.

Never fight with your dog to brush it's teeth. Never push yourself on them to brush.
Do Not apply Any Pressure. Brush on a 45 degree angle.

Even though Roxy's tooth paste says that she doesn't have to rinse. I rinse her mouth for her after we are done brushing. Twice on each side from top and bottom and then once for the fronts. I simply use running water to rinse the brush out. Then I use the filtered water to take up water on the brush, finger wet, I slide into the side of her mouth so to open for the tooth brush to go in. I swish it around on her teeth back to front, bottom and tops, each side and then the fronts.
Then I wash her mouth and tidy up her hair.
Teeth done!

Apparently Plaque Off is suppose to help drop the plaque and tartar from teeth. Simply apply to the food.
Just Google Plaque Off.
We use it, sometimes but Roxy's teeth are very clean and white because we have always brushed. Reports from those I know who uses it says that it works and some say that they can't tell.
Even if I did use this product religiously, I would still brush Roxy's teeth everyday.

Lastly, You Tube is an awesome resource for How To Videos, including how to brush your dogs teeth.
Remember, all dogs are different. What works for one dog may not work for another, so find the technique that works fort your dog.
Islandcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!