View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
K/D can indeed be prescribed for a liver shunt dog and we have used this food for Daisy in the past. She likes L/D better but is not able to tolerate the food very well. We use home cooked 99.9% of the time and L/D as a backup for emergencies only.

Lepto vaccines are given every day to small dogs including toy breeds every single day without issue. So it is incorrect to say that this vaccine is not recommended in toy dogs. It is recommended for individual dogs, large or small, who are at risk of getting the disease. I have given this vaccine to my two adult dogs in the past without incident, but discontinued the use of it based on individualized assessment of my dogs' risk.

Prednisone is used for many things in dogs, including some liver diseases.

I agree with you on the Yahoo sites and discontinued my subscription many years ago. I find that a good vet is all I need for my dog.

Risk must be determined before deciding for or against Lepto vaccines. I would suggest discussing it with a vet.

I also agree that a good vet is needed ... I find far too many people on the internet who are unqualified to do so, attempting to diagnose. A good vet would never do that on the internet....there must be a combination of things...with a physical exam being key. I see people attempting to diagnose based on what people report as symptoms and the labs that they honestly only have limited knowledge about. There are so many variables with lab testing. Nothing is just black and white.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!