View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcmsw View Post
As far as the title terminology goes I think "Hobby" breeder sounds worse than a "Backyard" breeder. Seriously, breeding as a "hobby"?? Raising pups isn't like building birdhouses. I think a different name should be there...what I don't exactly know, but having the title of "Hobby" just isn't very complimentary IMO and I think to call oneself a "hobby breeder" conjures up negative associations and visions of breeding a few litters with some interest and little effort until a better "hobby" comes up.
So what other name could one use instead of "hobby"??
"Better Breeder"?? just "Breeder"??
I think of a hobby as something that you find immensely rewarding, however, you don't expect to receive a financial gain from it, as you would a "job". You do it because you have a great desire and passion. People with hobbies enjoy reading and learning every thing they can about their area of interest, they don't see this learning as work, because they have such an interest. Taking classes and going to seminars isn't a chore because they have such a desire to learn all they can, and they take the actual breeding part seriously because they know that there is a ”life" that they are creating. You say that raising pups isn't like building a birdhouse, and I agree with you, few lives are impacted if someone creates a shoddy birdhouse, yet some breeders approach breeding this way, and will breed any pets they have, and have very little involvement in the producing of the offspring. I mean even a guy who builds birdhouses has to do something, he can't just leave the wood and hammer in the garage overnight, like some "breeders" do with their dogs. Creating life is about the most serious thing you can do in my opinion, and I hope every breeder can accept the tremendous responsibility for this.

Join today and remove this ad!