Thread: I'm a newbee
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Athena9
Yorkie Talker

Smile I'm a newbee

I thought I would introduce myself & my furbabies...I have 7 yorkie babies & it all started with one yorkiepoo. Picture it...1991 a great Dane breeder who knew a couple with 6 kids, the oldest about 7 yrs & all the rest younger. They came to me with this little ball of hair called Wookie. She was about 6 yrs old but looked and acted like 80. "We know you like dogs & she is just too much too handle with the kids." I looked at them in amazement. "The dog or the kids are to much too handle?"
"I don't 'do' little dogs! Their yappy, always under foot, needy, & look at all the hair!"
"Please take her, try her for 1 week & if you still don't like her, we will take her back."
The desperate look in my friends face had caught me & I grugingly took her into my arms.
After they left I picked Wookie up & she had my heart right there & then.
At the time I was working as ExDir. for Big Brother/Big Sisters. Monday morning rolled around & because it was such a great place to work, I also was ED & the only employee I thought it wouldn't hurt to try to take my dog to work. I have always believed that animals can make a difference for so many hurting people. But taking one of my Danes was a bit too much to ask for. My first day with Wookie there was to be Wookie's last day lazying around the house. She notified me when someone came in, jumped on the lap of any adult or child (under the age of 10). She knew how to make you feel comfortable & special. Wookie changed the whole feel of an office into a safe place to be.
A few years down the road my health deteriorated so much I was unable to work. Wookie kept me going & I started thinking how everyone could use a "Wookie". The thought of breeding yorkies with poodles to make the "Wookie's" didn't quite sit well with me. I like poodles but honestly did not want to own one, so why not yorkies? Years later I have never regretted stocking with Yorkies. I will admit that when Wookie started losing her eyesight, arthritis set in & seizures, the thought of her dying was something I couldn't bear. A miracle happened & I got Yetti (same breed as to what Wookie was).
Couple of weeks after Yetti's arrival, I gave permission to W ookie that she could pass on.
I know that no one knows me yet, & I hope you all don't think I'm loopy but for some strange reason I want to tell you what happened . The last day of Wookie's life was rough. She experienced a seizure in the middle of the night. I carried her into our bathroom, so I wouldn't waken my husband, and I told Wookie how much I grew to love her, how special she was and that I would be ok now so she could pass on. I brought her back to bed & made sure she was comfortable. That night she died in between my husband & my pillow.
The next day while I was making all the arrangements my new little Yetti looked up at me, but it wasn't Yetti's eyes looking at me, it was Wookie. Yetti had changed over night! Her behavior was Wookie's! The 2 of them just once sniffed noses, they never played together, nothing!
I hoped I haven't freaked you all out with my story but I believe so strongly that all of our dogs have duties to perform, some do their jobs better than others,lol. Could they be angels sent down to give us that special look that gives us hope, when there is none? Than you for your patience with me telling that story. I look forward to getting to know you all. Smiles, Athena9
Athena9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!