View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #15
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

I found this article also and why it can pertain to any dog I think for the most part they are talking about large dogs and I certainly do not endorse euthanasia!

If you have a dominant dog, you need to take steps to establish yourself as the top dog. If your dog is dominant aggressive (showing signs of aggression; biting, growling, showing his teeth - combined with the above behaviors), a canine behaviorist is a valuable resource. He or she can help you determine a program, usually using the steps outlined below, that is SAFE for you to try with your dog. Some trainers (rarely behaviorists) recommend an Alpha Roll to help establish dominance. This involves swiftly rolling a dog on his back and holding him there until he submits by lying still and looking away. It may be accompanied by growling or shaking the dog. This maneuver is patterned after something that wolves and dogs sometimes do to each other while fighting. Brood bitches will also sometimes roll their puppies in the whelping box. A true alpha roll is an aggressive measure, and if a dog is prone to aggression, he will feel the need to defend himself. If this is the case - you could be seriously hurt! Dogs and wolves do not do this routinely - only in very specific instances - that usually involve aggression of some kind. Routinely alpha rolling your dog only invites mistrust and confusion at best, at worst - aggression. Slowly rolling a dog on his back and holding him there is NOT an alpha roll. It can be considered a training exercise, similar to a long down. (Note here from me*I certainly don't know what the difference is between the Alpha Roll and slowly rolling a dog but my take is you can't just pick out 1 thing out of a training portfolio and ignore the rest IMO).

***If you feel threatened or unsafe carrying out any of the behaviors described below, get professional help immediately. If you cannot resolve the problems with a behavior modification program alone or combined with medication, you may need to consider euthanasia. Serious cases i.e. dogs who have bitten someone or who are showing aggression, need direction beyond the scope of this article. In order to be certain of your own safety, please consult with a qualified proffessional.***

http://www.goldstockfund.org/Edu/Training-AlphaRoll.htm
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!