View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Yes, I do believe any dog can be 100% potty trained. It's generally the owners fault if they're not. In MOST cases, of course ruling out medical problems, and I do believe some dogs are just harder than others.

For example, Jackson will have a poop accident about once every 3 months in our regular house, but he has never had an accident in any other homes (including my dads- and we spent the night at least once a week, he's 100% over there). Generally when he has a poop accident in our regular house, it was after he was barking at the door and me saying "yeah, right! You don't have to go - you just went!" And then he will go in the other room... lol. So I totally blame his accidents on none other than myself, and they happen pretty rarely anyways. So any accident he has is fully my fault.

My dads 3yr old JRT mix is always pottying in the house. Always. Why? My dad and his wife never took the time to properly potty train her. They were never consistent, never diligent, and got lazy when the fenced in yard was built. So they just assumed she was going and she wasn't. She generally goes in the house at least once a day. If they took her out physically and WATCHED her go and praised her, she could definitely be 100% potty trained, but it's the owners lack of patience and consistence that causes her to be un-potty trained. Plus she's got free roam of the whole house and probably shouldn't. They just don't work hard enough on it.

If you've got a difficult dog... you've gotta go back to potty training 101. Supervise 24/7 and if you can't -- in the crate/expen they go. You've gotta praise them when they do right, and teach them the correct way to do things. It's very unnatural for a dog to go in a specific place, if dogs lived on their own, they'd go wherever the heck they wanted. lol.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!