View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
jinhopark
Yorkie Yakker

Default When do they grow out of the "puppy" stage???

I know terrier breeds are known to be quite playful and full of energy, and so in that way they are always "puppies"...but I think our 5 month old Reeses, who is now a good pound heavier than our Rocci, is really pushing her puppy weight around quite a bit.

To give you some history, back when Reeses was first brought home at just over 2 lbs she was full of energy and wasn't too much of a pain to Rocci. They would both play and jump on each other, and Rocci is extremely mild mannered and very gentle...Fast forward a few months later and Reeses still has her short puppy coat and we are growing out Rocci's coat...and there are times where they are both wrestling and playing around, and then Reeses just takes it too far and starts playing tug of war on the longer part's of Rocci's coat. He looks absolutely and totally annoyed by this, he doesn't bark/yelp or doing anything other than just stand straight up and will look at me like, "Are you going to do something about this?" At that point I yell, "STOP!" and then Reeses releases the hair and realizes what she is doing and acts normal again.

It's almost like she is possessed and can't control her "puppy" like urges. I don't mind the occassional chewed on shoe strings/socks/paper/etc...that can be replaced and it keeps me and my family from being lazy and to remember to not have clutter around my house...but I definitely think Rocci is counting down the days that Reeses grows out of this puppy thing she has going on. Not sure if all puppies do this or not, or just Reeses...but she will be completely normal 95% of the day, and then she will absolutely snap and go bizerk and run back and forth across the room barking at Rocci. Rocci will just sit there as calm as can be as this maniac puppy is barking a millimeter from his face, then run to the other side of the room, run back at his face...and absolutely ignores her and won't move. Then she gets frustrated because she can't annoy him, and so she will start chewing on his long coat, but he of course does not have anything to grab on to with all of her short puppy fur.

I don't mind this, but for Rocci's sanity, when do you think Reeses will start acting more like a "grown-up" yorkie? I'm sure they all mature at different rates, so guestimates are fine.
jinhopark is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!