View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
SmileBeHoppi
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie Man View Post
If the pups are gaining, she must have some milk. If they are quiet, not crying and are gaining, she has some milk. If she's not eating, that won't last long, however, and she could come down with eclampsia, which is very serious. If you want to keep her out of the hospital and not have to hand feed the whole litter, you MUST get her to eat.

It is common for a new Mom to be picky and not want to eat, but you can't let that be. Try a variety of things. No matter what you try, you'll likely have to hand feed her. Don't just put the food down for her and expect her to eat. Some things I keep on hand for new Moms are beef liver and chicken. You can boil these up and most dogs won't refuse it. The liver is especially nutrient dense and most dogs love it. Keep the broth and use it over other food, such as canned dog food and kibble. Scrambled eggs are good, too, and most will eat them.

You may find that she likes one thing one day and not the next. It can be challenging, but you really have no choice. Also, she must drink plenty of water to make milk. You may have to literally hold the bowl under her mouth and spoon it in with your fingers. Many will lap it off the fingers but won't drink alone.

She may already be in a weakened state and you may be very close to a crisis, which can happen suddenly. Try to get some Nutri-Cal or equivalent product (corn syrup) in her to boost her energy. Also, she needs a calcium supplement at this time. Not sure what is available in Sweden, but the product I use is one tablet for a 20 pound dog. I give half a tablet twice daily.

If you can get her over this hump, she'll likely begin eating like she's on a mission in a few days. But you must first get her to eat. You may have to start with smaller portions more often, but she must eat. She should be eating about double her normal intake to supply the babies so you have to get her to that level for her and the babies sake.

Here is a link with info to help you recognize eclampsia....
Eclampsia | Eclampsia in Dogs | Canine Eclampsia Information
Thanks for your response. I have tried all of the above, liver, eggs, milk, etc etc. The only way she will eat, when she does eat, is out of my hand, and I don't mind at all, so long as she is eating. The vet did blood tests for several different things, one being Eclampsia, which was not an issue, but I will definitely check out the site. And you are so right, one day she loves something but the next day she won't touch it, so it has indeed been a challenge. I have given her corn syrup several times, but I will get some Nutri-Cal as well.

I appreciate your advice, thanks so much.
SmileBeHoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!