View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amr333 View Post
Yorkiepassion.com has a weight chart...pretty close to weight.

At 8weeks-times the weight by 3
At 12weeks-times the weight by 2

This is what I have always been told...I am sure someone else on here has something different to go by...
I think those two are the most agreed-upon ways to guesstimate the adult weights. Here's the link to the chart: Yorkshire Terrier - Yorkie Puppy Growth/Weight Chart - watch us grow It actually works out pretty close to the 2X 12 week weight and 3 X 8 week weight. All of mine have been extremely close to the weight chart. If a pup is a singleton, he may weigh a lot more early on and then start slowing his weight gain to be more close to the genetic component. Same with a large litter where you have one or two that are a lot smaller than the rest (runts --I am not crazy about that word though ). They may stay a little smaller for a while and then have a growth spurt or two to catch up. Some puppies don't get the best nutrition once they start on puppy food, others are allowed to overeat. But if you have an average birth weight, feed a good premium puppy food at the amount recommended, then the chart seems to hold pretty true. I still call it a guesstimate though as there is no way to know for sure. You can look at parents & grandparents as well as other adults that the same parents have birthed.

I have never seen a breeder guarantee adult weights. I see them all the time predicting an adult weight and those predictions are usually small. But if you look at the actual sales contract or guarantee there usually is nothing about adult size or they specifically say it is not guaranteed.

The OP's puppy being 2 pounds at 8 weeks, may be somewhere around the 6 pound mark, how's that for being vague? I don't really like to even make a guesstimate until they are at least 12 weeks old. A lot can change in even a month.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!