View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #44
roseylovestosho
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
To the OP... I'm glad to see you went back... I hate letting 'people' ruin my plans... the important thing is for you to work with Teddy in a group situation. I know with my dog, half the time if I couldn't get her to do what was expected, she was able to pick up on it from seeing the other dogs doing it. I do remember our trainer being more of a drill sargent...

Also, when I found my class, there were no PetSmarts or Petcos that offered training classes, and I have my doubts with them anyway... one day I was in Petsmart and a guy was trying to teach his English Bulldog puppy to 'sit'. Well, after 5 minutes or so the dog finally sat, and he didn't do anything... no 'good boy', no click or reward, and I kept thinking OMG, how's he ever going to know he did the right thing?

Just tell Teddy for me: This month, Tallahassee, next month Madison Square Gardens!

PS: It may help to tire him out a bit before class, and if you walk faster it won't look like he's pulling as much! Keep him at your left leg, shorten the leasd so he can't get past your leg to start pulling, make a lot of left turns where you have to step in front of him, so complete left circles and figure eights might help him. He should begin to watch your feet for direction, but when they get frustrated they will try to bite your shoe...

I'm sure you'll both do just fine... Good Luck!
Well, the problem is not pulling anymore (he wears an easy walk harness now that doesn't allow him to pull) now since he sees he cannot pull he lies down on the ground so that when I start walking he drags on the floor! He is so stubborn its as if he's staying "well if I can't walk and go as fast as I want then I will not go anywhere at all!" lol...oh and btw he was walked three miles before class!!! I will definitely try the left circles and figure eights from now on, which is wonderful I'll get more looks than I already do at the park!

Join today and remove this ad!