Thread: Texas?!?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiLuv View Post
So my BF of many years has been offered a great promotion at his job but it requires relocation- to Texas. I was born in the Bay Area of California and have lived here all my life. I oviously want to go down their and see it for myself but I was hoping maybe some of you from there or that had been to both Cali and Tx would give me a heads up on what to expect, maybe soem pros and cons. We would be going to Dallas or close by.
I know it's not like the bay area but I'm really not much of a 'city' person, I hardly ever go down to San Fran and besides that I'm not sure what CA has to offer that's so much better or even diffrent. But of course I haven't been to Texas yet. I will be visiting Dallas in March to check it out so any tips on what or where I should go would help too.
Thanks!!
I'm a born and raised Southern Californian, my job transferred me to Dallas in 1994. It was a major culture shock. Weather being the one that affected me the most. Summer especially, summers in California are trips to the beach, bike rides, picnics, everything outdoors. Texas you hybernate....there are only 2 Seasons in Texas....Christmas and Summer.

But, after living there for 16 years and really after the first year....I grew to love it and am looking forward to moving back. It is a different lifestyle, but the people in Texas are well worth it. That is the biggest difference; they say everything in Texas is bigger, but what is really bigger is the people's hearts.

Yes, it is a very conservative state and I loved that; God, family and the US in that order. If you want to raise a family that's a great state to do so.

If you prefer country, well you've got it there...however, everything is very accessible....you don't have the traffic congestion that you have here. Big Malls; The Galleria being a huge one....plenty of night life (if you desire). But, be prepared if the first question you're asked is "what church to you belong to". You're addressed by the younger set as Mr., Mrs. Or Miss....

On the minus side...you don't have the ocean, lots of man made lakes....scenery is a bit on the atrophy side. Oh! no mountains.....you know how we navigate here, using the moutains and ocean as our guide. Well there you use water towers......each city has one and the city name is printed in huge letters....
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!