View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
volumnus
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Yorkies eat very little...

You aren't going to save much money at all by skimping on dog food. Even if a five pound bag of high quality dog food were to cost fifty bucks instead of 10-15 like it does, my boy would be more than worth it.

Knox's favorite food is Taste of the Wild. He likes both the Bison formula and the Duck formula, but he does not like the Salmon. Taste of the Wild is made by a crappy company called Diamond, but it has good ingredients. Most importantly, he does really well on it. Good coat, small poop, minimal eye goop, pleasant puppy breath, etc... TOTW is also cheap. I get it at Tractor Supply Company for 9.99 per five lbs bag.

His second favorite so far is Blue Buffalo Small Breed. He sometimes refuses the eat the little vitamin balls in it however, and I find them all over the kitchen. I also buy it at Tractor Supply. It's a little more expensive at $14.99 per five pound bag.

A lot of people here feed Orijen. Knox doesn't like it though. He ate one bowl, and now he won't touch it. He'd rather starve. I paid 15.99 for a five lbs bag at a specialty store. It's a little harder to find.

Now my horror story. My vet gave me a bag of Science Diet when Knox was 9 weeks old. Science Diet is just as bad as Iams. Knox got so constipated that he couldn't pass his stool. It was stuck in his little butt. He was pitiful. I took him to the vet. She wanted to put him on medicine but insisted I stick with the awesome Science Diet food.

I took it upon myself to investigate. After a little research, I changed his food to Blue Buffalo on my own. Lo and behold, the constipation hasn't recurred again. I was upset because I feel like his vet was more concerned about promoting Science Diet than the health of my baby. She's a vet. She has to know how bad that crap sucks.

Most of these cheap dog foods are filled with fillers like corn. The first ingredient in the list of ingredients on the back of the bag is the most prominent ingredient. Most cheap dog foods are mostly made of corn. Dogs can't digest it. It makes them have big poop. With premium dog foods, the dogs absorb most all of the nutrients, so their poops are much smaller. Tiny poops don't get stuck in the behind of a tiny 4 pound dog. Really the poop tells the tale.
volumnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!