View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

[QUOTE=FidoTheYorkie;3396155
My vet reccomanded me that I keep him in a good shape, exercise him well, so he gets much muscle around the knee.
Do you think that is wrong ??? they are very good vetnarians that I know personally, I work at their clinic.

Fido does not jump much, hardly anything, he just jumps in my bed and sometimes in the sofa (not often).[/QUOTE]

Exercise him well so that he gets much muscle around the knee, is good advice, but what specifically are the exercises that he recommended?

Water exercises are worth approx 3:1 in terms of energy expenditure versus land based activities. It means 15 minutes of water work is equal to about 45 minutes of land activity. Walking in the water is very good exercise for the legs and will build up muscle very safely for compromised joints.
Yorkies can ususally be effectively exercised this way in the bathtub. If you have a rehab place, the underwater treadmill is an amazing treatment. It was one of the main ways I help rehab Magic after his back injury.

Jogging on hard surfaces is NOT recommended for knee problems.

In summertime if you live near a beach, walk your dog in the sand for 15 minutes (great work out) and finish up with a swim for 15 minutes.

Massage his legs after exercise this will help a lot.

You can also check out chiropractic and acupuncture for dogs. An overall good assessment of his structure is in order. Toeing in or out will exacerbate (make worse) the knee problem.

Good luck with Fido
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!