View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #26
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
Thanks for pointing out my typo... I have a headache today.... but from U of T website:

"Single congenital portosystemic shunts must be differentiated from multiple acquired shunts secondary to portal hypertension, and from hepatic microvascular dysplasia. Hepatic microvascular dysplasia (HMD) signifies a disorganization of the liver's microscopic architecture which is similar to that of dogs with single congenital shunts. HMD has been reported in small breed dogs such as the Yorkshire terrier, Cairn terrier, Maltese, cocker spaniel, and poodle. Dogs with HMD display biochemical, hematologic, and clinical changes consistent with portosystemic shunting but lack a macroscopic portosystemic shunt. Definitive diagnosis is by ruling out a macroscopic shunt through exploratory laparotomy, nuclear scan, or portography. Signs of HMD are managed by low protein diet; lactulose is added if necessary."

Note: HMD = MVD

So I guess it depends on who one reads... and , yes, I said the symptoms are the same....
I never said there was a macroscopic shunt in MVD. I said that MVD is microscopic shunting. Dogs with shunts have the same microscopic features of the liver as MVD dogs. The absence of a macroscopic shunt is the difference between the two. Dogs also can have both.

You said that the liver can be small with LS and I was pointing out that the liver can be small in MVD as well as LS. That is not a symptom, it is a clinical sign that is observed during diagnostic testing.

This dog may not even have a single shunt as her BATs are not astronomically high like some cases I've seen on here where people do not take their dogs into surgery to try to help them. So, yeah, it may depend on who one reads if you want to be technical about the microscopic landscape of the liver, but more importantly it depends on what one does to help their dog and since I have one of the most successfully managed MVD dogs on this board, I will keep sharing her story for those who want to hear it or who can benefit from knowing it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!