View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
JDS
YT 500 Club Member

I wasn't recommending surgery for Fido. However, I do believe a second opinion would be a good thing. You definitely need to know what grade LP he has. Lulu's grade 3 leg was out pretty much all the time. It would go back in with manipulation, but would quickly luxate after the vet released pressure...that is why surgery was recommended for her. She couldn't run around without showing symptoms (pulling up her leg) so I knew surgery was needed. As I stated before her grade 2 leg, she never shows symptoms so surgery wasn't recommended at this time. But I felt much better hearing that from a surgeon who did this all the time. JMO, of course. And FWIW, Lulu's surgery set us back $2,000. But it's been more than worth it. And if the day comes where her other leg needs surgery, we will proceed with that as well.

For now, I would ask your vet about beginning the glucosamine supplements. Lulu takes Dasuquin(??spelling). Also, as others have mentioned, no jumping on or off furntiure & keep Fido's weight to a healthy range. Water exercise was recommended by my vet as well. She said it's a great way to exercise without stressing the joints. As small as Lulu is, she will begin her water therapy in our bath tub as soon as she is released by the surgeon.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!