View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
JDS
YT 500 Club Member

How old is Fido, what does he weigh, & what grade is the LP? My Lulu was just recently diagnosed with grade 3 LP in her right rear leg & grade 2 in her left rear leg. It came on suddenly, she never showed any symptoms and then one day I felt it pop & took her to the vet. Lulu never cried with it, she just tucked her leg up and limped. I chose to see a board certified surgeon & he recommended surgery. It's been 2.5 weeks since her surgery & she is recovering well.

I think you should definitely get a second opinion about this. Not that I think your vet is wrong, but with my experience it was very helpful & reassuring to hear at least 2 vets confirm the diagnosis and recommend treatment. My normal vet recommended glucosamine supplements & omega 3 supplements for life. Not all babies with LP have to have surgery. However, I believe a board certified surgeon is the best person to evaluate and make recommendations.

BTW, the surgeon said that Lulu's other leg (grade 2) may or may not need surgery eventually. As of right now, it does not. But it is something that we will have to keep an eye on. I am hoping that the supplements & exercises will help decrease her chance of needing LP repair on that leg. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions or concerns. I'm by no means an expert, but I will gladly share my experience...it's still very fresh in my mind.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!