View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
LuvTaycieGirl
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniMan View Post
When was her last rabies shot? Pups don't get rabies when they are born so she probably won't be ready for her 1 year booster for awhile after her first birthday. She should get the 1 year booster, 1 full year after her last shot.

Vaccines are a personal choice- I do the 1 year boosters when they come due and then do not vaccinate again.

A stool sample is good.

Unless something is wrong, dogs at this age really don't need blood work more than once a year- so you could probably hold off on that as well.

A bile acid test is done to test the liver function and can diagnose liver problems like MVD and shunts which are very common in yorkies. Again, this is a personal decision- I believe that ALL yorkies should have this done. The vet will take blood, feed the dog, wait two hours and take blood again- so it is rather simple and not invasive at all. I would never not have one of my own yorkies tested, but again this is a personal decision.
Thankyou for the wonderful advice! Ok one year boosters of course. Yes, I will do rabies later when the full year comes around.. (hit head with forehead, duh moment And wait on the bloodwork as well. Is it bad to do it every year? Or is it just not necessary while so young?

I may have it done when I go in for her rabies booster, I will have to look back on my records and see..

Bile Acids Test sounds very smart and I am going to be talking to my vet about this
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!