View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Lol, I'm in the Air Force and I work around a lot of Army people. I just couldn't spend years deployed at a time, and AF deployments aren't so bad. 6 months at a time, and I get at least a year downtime after so at least I have a schedule I can work with. Mostly, I'm tired of moving all the time, and I want a new job. I've tried applying for re-training but I get the same responses every time, you're not qualified to retrain now because of the "transformation" of your career field (or something along those lines). The retirement benefits seem to be under a lot of fire these days, there is even talk about us not being able to draw the benefits (i.e. the paycheck) until we're 60+, meaning I'll retire at 20 years, I'll be 37, thats another 23+ years before I see any retirement from the military. As long as Democrats are in office they're going to keep passing bills which take benefits from the military and put them who knows where. Besides, dealing with military people gets old, I get the "oldies" who just know how things are run, even though things stopped being run that way since before Windows 2000, and then the newbies who try to change everything, even things that run really smooth.
I don't really know, I'll probably change my mind in 2 years anyway, lol. I think it's mostly fear of failing in the "real world" that is keeping me in, steady paycheck, medical is taken care of, etc.
But on the flipside, not sure you've read up on this Post 9/11 GI Bill, but wow, thats incentive enough to get out and go to school full time I can actually see myself enjoying being a nurse, I like being helpful to people and that's pretty much what a nurse does. Plus, people always get sick so at least I know there will always be work to do, lol.
I need to start making a list, things are always easier when I write them down...
Sometimes you can cross service and re-enlist with a guarantee for a new school. Might ask if there is a possibility of re-enlisting Army for the 91T MOS I mentioned as a Vet Tech. Not always possible. I was a Career Recruiter and there were times the Navy could not take other Service vets. I would not fear the loss of retirement benefits too much. They usually "grandfather" most when they change the big benefits like retirement. When they made the last retirement change, everyone that was on active duty as of that date still got the old benefits, but the change affected all new enlistees. I was thankful for that as I got the good old retirement benefits. But as you said -- many other potential careers for you to consider!

I have heard the Post 9/11 GI Bill is great. I retired a "few years" before that program. Since you are young -- why not take advantage of it and go to school. you don't even have to declare a major at first -- might test the waters and make a decision as you go. Getting a degree can never hurt, that's for sure! I think you are in an exciting point in life -- so many choices! The medical field offers a HUGE selection. My sister started as an Xray tech and now is on a heart cath team. She is a tech but now administrative as well and she actually travels and trains others. She has done a lot of things, ultrasound, CTs, MRIs -- if there was schooling offered, she took it and she finally settled with heart cath team work. She has saved lives! I have another sister that started off working for an optomistrist and wound up on the team doing laser eye surgeries. So, there is almost no limit to the opportunities out there. Your military start will be a big plus to future employers. They love the fact that you have already proven yourself -- responsible, team worker, persistence, tenacity, confidence, independent -- these are the traits a military veteran usually brings to the table and employers know it! Don't feel that you have not "tried it in the real world" or are somehow "untested." The military prepares you in so many ways most civilian jobs cannot. Sure it may be a bit more secure, but you have had to sacrifice and adjust more than most civilians do in a lifetime. You might even decide to come back in after college as an officer or to go to med school? Who knows? We always kidded that the Air Force had it the easiest of the services. But you all probably thought it was the Navy. I miss all of the comraderie! But it was time for me to retire -- I did not want to become that old codger that wouldn't adapt to change. Good luck to you!
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!