View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Lol, I'm in the Air Force and I work around a lot of Army people. I just couldn't spend years deployed at a time, and AF deployments aren't so bad. 6 months at a time, and I get at least a year downtime after so at least I have a schedule I can work with. Mostly, I'm tired of moving all the time, and I want a new job. I've tried applying for re-training but I get the same responses every time, you're not qualified to retrain now because of the "transformation" of your career field (or something along those lines). The retirement benefits seem to be under a lot of fire these days, there is even talk about us not being able to draw the benefits (i.e. the paycheck) until we're 60+, meaning I'll retire at 20 years, I'll be 37, thats another 23+ years before I see any retirement from the military. As long as Democrats are in office they're going to keep passing bills which take benefits from the military and put them who knows where. Besides, dealing with military people gets old, I get the "oldies" who just know how things are run, even though things stopped being run that way since before Windows 2000, and then the newbies who try to change everything, even things that run really smooth.
I don't really know, I'll probably change my mind in 2 years anyway, lol. I think it's mostly fear of failing in the "real world" that is keeping me in, steady paycheck, medical is taken care of, etc.
But on the flipside, not sure you've read up on this Post 9/11 GI Bill, but wow, thats incentive enough to get out and go to school full time I can actually see myself enjoying being a nurse, I like being helpful to people and that's pretty much what a nurse does. Plus, people always get sick so at least I know there will always be work to do, lol.
I need to start making a list, things are always easier when I write them down...
Well if you are considering nursing, then you can certainly research the educational requirements, the upward mobility opportunities, and get lots of feedback from actual nurses.

Nursing is a challenging career. There will be shift work certainly in the beginning years, you will be on your feet for most of the shift, you will deal with all the vagarities of human nature all day/night long. The job is physically demanding, lifting/adjusing patients in bed, for example.

Still there are many different nursing situations, that might appeal to you. Maternity ward, neonatal care, surgery, etc.

One of the huge growth industries is "geriatric care".

There is an old book entitled What Color is my Parachute? It is a book designed to help you search out what type of career would appeal to you.

If you haven't done something like this, it would be an interesting exercise for you.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!