View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

If you don't go for a full-fledge vet, then I too, would pick RN over a vet tech. Hard to make a career out of a vet tech because of the low pay ($10-$20 an hour depending on experience) and limited upward mobility. You can't take the vet's job without a degree & license, so you are basically always limited to what you start as -- a vet tech -- with only the vet assistants & file clerks to maybe be below you. Here is a good explanation: Veterinary technician - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

A plus -- availability -- I did see quite a smattering of Vet Tech jobs advertised online although most were offering $12-$15 an hour or $25-$30,000 a year which just seemed a bit hard to accept knowing there was not much above that in the field UNLESS you went to vet's school. Those starting pays are not so bad when you think of a bigger job field with lots of steps between entry level and the CEO. Another plus, there are some interesting opportunities that don't just jump into your mind when you think Vet tech, things like working at a zoo; providing nutrition to a colony of primates; Sea World; and there was some very interesting opportunities for Army Vet Techs! Not sure which branch of the service you are in but that is one place where there is upward mobility as a Vet Tech! (Army MOS 91T) Check out A Day In The Life: Veterinary Technician in the US Army Interesting things! and About.com: http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/vet/index.jsp

I spent 22 years active Navy, retired as a Senior Chief Navy Counselor (Career Recruiter). I am a bit partial to staying in and having an early retirement! A lot of benefits to a military retirement too! Young enough to still have another career but a nice little stipend coming in every month alon with educational and health benefits that are hard to beat! Okay -- recruiting pitch is over Good luck on whatever you decide!
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!