View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
ginarn
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default My Miles - 8 month old yorkie, maltese, schitzu mix

Hello Everyone - I am new to this forum. I have ready many of the posts regarding Liver shunts and other disorders of the liver in these breeds. I just wanted to ask a few more questions.

Miles is 8 months, born from a yorkie-schitzu father and a yorkie-maltese mother. He did not come from a breeder. My dad bred him with his deceased wife's dog (the dogs were not related). There were 3 puppies in the litter. As far as I know, all the other dogs are OK.

When Miles was about 3 months old, he had an episode of almost unconsciousness. He was wobbly on his feet and eyes rolling back in his head. This was about 20 mins after eating. We took him to emergency vet right away. He ended up staying the night in the ICU, given fluids and tests run. He was back to himself the next day and we brought him home. The only thing that was abnormal from labs was bile acid salts. They were very slightly elevated post meal. Like 20 or 30 (having paperwork sent to me for exact numbers). Vet said it was probably nothing but he should be rechecked.

Fast forward to now, Miles has had no problems- he had all his shots and he weighs close to 7 pounds. He's extremely energetic all the time. Scheduled for neutering today - he had repeat biles acids drawn last week to make sure everything was OK. When I brought him in this morning, vet said bile acid salts elevated - they are still in the 20's and 30's pre and post meal. ( I was so stunned I forgot to write numbers down but I saw them on the paper) Not very elevated - vet told me he expects a liver shunt so would not be safe to do neutering at this time. Vet recommended ultrasound to see what is going on with the liver.

So I have done a lot of research and have read that you can't always see the shunt on US.

Is there a better test for him to have? Will the US show the microvascular disease if he has it?

Also, I read that with a shunt the bile acid salt would usually be over 100.

So, maybe he has the microvascular liver disease?

Has anyone here had a pup with both a shunt and the microvascular liver disease?

If he does in fact have a shunt, I have many more questions but will save them until we find out.

The vet sent me home with some liver support tablets, starts with a D but cannot remember the name right now. I'm so upset I feel like we are going to lose our puppy and I do not want to see him having seizures and acting confused and I don't want him to be in pain.

Thank you for reading.
ginarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!