View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

I'm not a tech and hopefully never will be, but I spend a good chunk of time observing them and vets. So, this is what I've learned.

AVMA accreditation is important (at least to me). Some schools only offer these classes during the day. I've heard our program here is pretty intense. You would not have time for a full time job.

This is not a good choice for a possible pre vet unless you want to waste a couple years just exploring the field. the classes do not overlap. And at worst it can look (to adcoms) like you are unsure of your career choice. Many techs have gone on to be vets. Not needed or recommended. However, getting a job as an assistant is a very good idea., etc. They pretty much

What they do really depends on the clinic and the doctor they are teching for that day. Surgery assistance (prep, blood draws, place IV, monitoring and administering anesthesia), dental cleanings, run samples in the lab, restrain animals (and restrain more animals), cut and bottle meds, write up post op reports, see patient before vet, take temps, some phone calls, surgery discharge, answering owner questions, cleaning, putting stuff in the computer. They pretty much do it all. lol. Techs can't diagnose, prescribe, or do surgery.

Pros: Can't think of many. If you love vet med but just can't go vet, then it may be a good choice. Cute animals. Good if you like lots of responsibility.
Cons: Pay nothing. You listen to a doctor all day (and they are not always patient with you). Owners can be annoying and some do not care. If you have strong opinions about veterinary medicine, it can be hard to watch when a doctor isn't doing something how you think it should be done (and usually you just have to go along with it).
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!