Thread: Feeding amounts
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candigirl View Post
When I first got Lexie she weighed less than 2lbs and hardly ate much of anything before she was full. Now she weighs 2.6lbs and I have her on Orijen feeding her 30 kibbles 3 times a day which is 1/4 cup altogether. For dinner I add tablespoon of wellness canned. Lexie is 14 weeks now and cleans her bowl at every meal now she's even touching the bowl with her paw and whining for more. I know Orijen is high protein so it's easy to overfeed but at the same time I want to make sure she's getting enough. So how much should I be feeding her without overdoing it. If she whines for food should I just give her more?it doesn't help that the feeding guide on the bag is way more than she could manage
In terms of overfeeding, it's not a matter of protein percentage, it is a matter of calories per day. The feeding guidelines on all food bags are way over what is necessary, in my opinion.

Doesn't 90 pieces of Orijen kibble add up to more than 1/4 cup?

The best way to tell if your pup is getting enough food is to check her body. Can you readily feel her ribcage and does she have a waistline?

Puppies do require a little more and every dog is different. However, my very active 8 pound boy required less than 3/4 cup Orijen per day, and that was without the supplement of a tablespoon of canned food.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!