View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
TatumsMom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Temp. taking before birth...

Sorry, this question is for our Aussie, Stormie.... but I've learned so much on YT that I was thinking I could get a little help from the breeders here.

Her 61st day is on Saturday. Last year (her first litter) she delivered about that time. Kind of took us by surprise because I was counting on a few more days to go yet. So this time we have her ready and resting indoors in her whelping box and taking her temperature twice a day. On Debbie Jensen's site it says to look for a spike (around 101 or so) and then a drop. Last time I think we missed the spike because she delivered a little over a day after we started taking her temperature. I really thought we'd started taking it early enough this time but here are her temps.... day 55 - 99.7, day 56 - 99.6 (only taken once a day because she wasn't very cooperative and we didn't want to stress her too much), today (day 57) - 98.6. So do you think I'm still looking for the "spike" or maybe we're on the downhill? Debbie Jensen's chart shows an up and down range between 99 and 100 for a few days before the spike. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this but am still confused. Someone is trying to be home with her most of the time throughout the day. I just don't want to miss the birth! I think she could do just fine on her own but I want to be there to help like I did the first time. There's almost nothing like watching babies come into the world (furbutts or otherwise!!).
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!