View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
salazark
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
I hear your upsetness. I have tears in my eyes reading this. I'd like to put to one side, what your husband response means or doesn't mean to his character, and just focus on the practicalities for a moment.

Back when I was "training" Razz it was wintertime, and I didn';t want him out in the cold in the backyard, we had a record winter for snow that year. And quite simply I was used to another breed that was housetrained easily. But I also had no idea about potty pad training, and quite frankly I was too lax in that regard. My hubby exploded one day, and said you are not training this dog well, get with it! My hubby is a dog lover over and over again. But still he exploded at me. This explosion sat me back.
I looked over what I had failed to do with this indoor business, and said later to him, you are right I have not trained this dog well.

So I changed things a lot. Became much more disciplined on bringing him to his potty pad after eating, sleeping, coming out of crate etc. I became very vigilant to always look to see if there were "accidents". Guess what he became very good on the potty training, and my husband saw my effort, and supported it. For example when he would take Razz out of his crate in the morning, he would carry him to his peepad, and make sure he pee'd.

It might or might not be true in the long run that your husband doesn't give a Rat's A$$ about the dog, but if she becomes a good member of your household that will take away some of his concern.

In terms of your hubby, all I will say after 5 decades living, is men often say in anger what they don't really totally one hundred percent mean.

Get her trained, be first to notice her mistakes, clean up fast. She means the world to you, so this should be easy for you to do. Once this has happened, see how your hubby reacts.
Great response. I think the key is for your husband to see genuine effort from both you and Princess. Hang in there!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!