View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
salazark
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinewife View Post
We rescued Zeus when he was 8 weeks old. The vet had to treat him for flea infestation and several types of worms, ear infections and skin infection. As soon as he was well enough, he jumped and broke his leg. Surgery and almost 8 weeks in a cast destroyed potty training. My husband is definitely the "Pack Leader" but he had to leave for Afghanistan for 8 months. Zeus is doing better about potty training but he knows that whining gets him a walk outside, even when he does not have to go. My puppy won't stop whining!! Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!!
First, congratulations on you puppy and welcome to YorkieTalk! You actually answered your question in your post. He whines because he knows that it gets results. I would try to come up with another signal for needing to go outside and ignore the whining. They do the behavior that gets results. If whining doesn't get results, then he won't do it. Do you continue walking him after he potties? I would take him out and after he goes potty, then do something he enjoys such as a longer walk. It sounds like you are on your way with him, just a few behaviours to shape!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!