Thread: Teeth Cleaning
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Vinniedoggy
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkley_2008 View Post
I'm going to look into going to the vet. I've heard it's VERY expensive. I don't mind paying for him to go each month, as long as it's not a ridiculous amount. I just wonder how good the products you can buy to clean their teeth are.
First, start with a good professional cleaning by a vet. Once you've done that, you need to quickly get your guy started on a home program. My guys get their teeth brushed EVERY night, no exceptions. I've found that by keeping them in this routine, they just know it's going to happen and are more willing to put up with it. I don't let them get out of it. If you brush your dog's teeth faithfully, you may never need to have them cleaned again.

I'm in the DC area (notoriously expensive) and a full teeth cleaning with pre-anesthesia blood work and everything runs about $400-$500, more if teeth need to be extracted.

Also, tartar buildup can sometimes indicate that your dog is ingesting grain in his diet. A good raw diet can really help prevent tartar build up. Just like in humans, carbohydrates of any kind will hasten tooth decay.

As for teeth cleaning products - a good oral hygiene program at home has less to do with what doggy toothpaste you're using and more to do with the brushing motion. A good quality toothbrush is more important, and make sure to replace the brush regularly to ensure that the bristles aren't worn down. It's the brushing motion that breaks away the tartar.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!