View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
stp2585
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New 11 week old Yorkie ignoring me...

Hello all,

first time posting on ytalk. So me and my gf bought an 11 week old male yorkie about 2 weeks ago and all was well at first. The dog was really attached to me and my gf. However, as of late, my yorkie completely ignores me now. Sure he plays with me when he's in the mood, or so. But when my gf leaves for work, he just ignores me. He plays with his toys by himself, he doesn't come when i call, he doesnt get excited when i come in the room, etc. He does all those things with my gf, so it isnt like he doesnt know what "come here" means. I dont know that I've associated "come here" with any kind of punishment in the beginning. I might have, just dont recall. Just right now I got home from the grocery store and he got up from his nap to see who came through the door, when i called him and said "hey" he went the other way. Im getting really frustrated at this point. I know that hes still a pup and all, but its really frustrating knowing that he prefers one of us only. I have been the one to scold him when he chews on carpet or furniture or when he tried to eat his own poop at first, I dont know if thats why he doesnt care for me right now. Maybe he thinks im just bitter. But at this point, I feel like telling my gf to keep him at her apt because he just doesnt listen at all when shes not around.

What can I do to change his behavior towards me??? Ive tried little treats but he doesnt come when I dont have any treats. Hes too smart. Ive tried being SUPER EXCITED when he does come to me, or when he does listen, but its still doesnt help. I cant spend any other bonding time with him at this point (i.e. taking him for a walk) because he's too young and because hes had a mild case of the kennel cough, so he's on antibiotics. It really just sucks because he had a run with diarrhea and vomiting a couple of days ago, and I was worried sick about him because of that and the fact that he wouldnt eat after I took him to the vet. I care for him alot. But now I find myself fighting the thought to just let him be, which totally isnt right. I dont know. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
stp2585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!