View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil fu fu girl View Post
Nutrition is beyond fascinating.
Just like humans, our individual pups have unique and sometimes disparate systems . While a certain percentage of fiber might work well with one pup, it might not work well for another. Certain diseases, like Diabetes, work better with higher fiber percentages; as fiber is a complex carbohydrate and goes through the digestive tract more slowly than simple carbohydrates. Therefore, the flow of glucose into the bloodstream and into the body is slower; keeping a balanced glucose level. Definitely essential when maintaining chronic illnesses such as Diabetes.

Some feed their pups food which is high in simple carbs, and their pups consequently have highs and lows. You have probably seen pups that after eating become quite active and hyper, and then after some time, crash and sleep. Not great for their body.

In another blog someone had asked about beets and beet pulp within dogfood. Beets and beet pulp are a good source of low fermentable fiber, which also contains prebiotics which promote the growth of probiotics within the intestines. The digestive process of beet fiber produces short chain fatty acids which the probiotics on the intestinal walls feed on.

Anyway, long story short, I believe that the amount of fiber for your particular pup is dependent upon their unique system and the chronic diseases that they are facing. If you have found something that is working well I would say stick with it. Only you can tell what is really working for your pup. Good luck......
Great post!

I'm one of those who really believes in fiber, and we are just beginning to learn all the benefits. One thing, you can't add too much too quickly, the result will be gas, and nobody likes a gassy dog.

Join today and remove this ad!