View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz06 View Post
I have to disagree because I know of many dogs who DO get better naturally! I think this was posted another time because I remember replying before. The most important thing is pain medication, because as long as he is in pain, he is moving, and he is injuring himself more. Many dogs will recover with crate rest, steroids, and pain management.

Either way, there is a chance he may recover and a chance he may not. My little yorkie I think is a great advocate for paralyzed pups and she is still leading a full life even though all of her legs don't work! She is beginning to "spinal walk" which is walking based on muscle memory even though her brain does not control her back end. Her muscles are remembering how to do it on their own! It's robotic and not "normal" looking but she's just as happy as any other dog I know! Carts are great for little dogs too, and many many dogs are just fine scooting around without one too!

He will recover to a point that he is in no more pain, when the swelling goes down on his spinal cord through use of steroids or NSAID (whether after surgery or during conservative treatment) Whether you want to deal with a paralyzed pup or not (if he doesn't regain use of his legs) is up to you, but if not, please let him go to someone who can. My little dog is full of life and until this happened to us I may have said they should be put down but I absolutely believe that losing some ability to walk is no reason to lose a life.
This is the other thread:

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/sic...ed-advice.html
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!