View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
diannenet
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

When I first got Toby he was very anxious in the car. What I found to help Toby get used to the car.......put the car in the garage, open the doors and get in and just sit in it without it running and get him used to it. I did this for at least a week. I had to buy a car seat for Toby because he used to be a "runner." Whenever a door was opened he would run out the door. So I would sit him in his car seat (in the garage) and tell him good boy and give him a treat. He now does great in the car and loves, loves, loves to go bye-bye. I don't even latch him in his car seat unless I'm getting out of the car to get gas or something. It definitely takes patience and time. He was not used to riding in a car and how he loves it. Positive reinforcement is key in training these pups. Sometimes I think they "get it" and act like they don't just so they can keep getting treats!

Good luck...........and one more thing, Toby gets car sick on winding roads and hills so I give him a 1/2 dramamine (non drowsy formula) about an hour before we hit the road for the two hour ride and he does fine. When we come back home from camping, the hills and winding roads are first and he doesn't need a dramamine on the way home. By the time we hit the hills, he's already been in the car for 1 1/2 hours so the dramamine has had plenty of time to kick in. He weighs about 9 lbs. and the vet said it was fine to give him 1/2 pill. I used to give him a 1/4 but it didn't always work.

I think sometimes it is just trial and error................

Good luck and keep us posted.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!