View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Islandcanine
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default She Breaks Her Hair!!

I have been so diligently caring for my dog's hair so to grow it out from the crazy puppy cut she had when I got her. We are doing great with the grow out, as painful as it was for the first year.
Hair above the nose poking up in front of the eyes as it grew out! What a pain.
Note: What I did was I brought a small amount of water and flax seed to a boil, took off heat, strained and cooled. The gel works great for keeping pesky hairs down!
Well we got her hair to the point we can do all sorts of neat things with it but at a length on her head that if it is not put back it will fall into her eyes and even into her mouth when she plays, drinks or eats.
Say right after a bath and dry. I wait a bit because after her bath she will rub on the carpet and furniture as well as her blanket and towel. If I put her hair up before I let her down to do her rubbing, I risk her hair breaking.
Trouble is this: Before the frost, freezing and snow, with her hair up, we go for a walk. She finds a nice piece of grass and down she goes. Rubbing like crazy, her face and her back, pushing her head up and back so the top of her head inevitably gets in the mix. Right where her pony is. Result: Serious breakage on one side just in front of her ear. Now we have to wait for another six months again before we can get it back into the pony, never mind a top knot. Growth to allow for a top knot will probably take a year from now.
How do we deal with this? Sometimes a dog will rub on the carpet rolling around when our backs are turned.
For those who use top knots and or ponys, do you ever experience such breakage?
Am I the only one?

I can not walk her or anything else for that matter unless her hair is up or for one, she can't see.
I have stopped her from rolling in the grass but other times not and now I am paying for it.
All I can think of is to take her out with just a clip in her hair, lead her to a nice piece of grass, take the clip out and and hope that she will take that opportunity to roll until she is content.

Cutting her hair is not an option. If I cut the hair on top of her head, so it is not so long it falls into her eyes, then I have to do the part on her nose, between her eyes also because that gets pulled up into her pony right now as well. So is why I figure cutting isn't an option. I don't want to have to cut the hair by her eyes on her nose because grow out is a major pain.
We put it all up instead. Now she has a rather sizable piece that wont go into a pony because it is broken off short :0

For us, me this has been an ongoing problem. Any input from those with experience would be greatly appreciated. I feel responsible for this to have happened .. I don't know what to do.
Islandcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!