Thread: Please advise
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Yorkielover View Post
I don't believe this old school method works. If you are consistent with taking your puppy outside to go after eating or drinking and then praise and give a treat you will have far better results. It takes a lot of work and close observation but your results will be well worth it. I suggest you continue to try and educate your boyfriend on the importance of housebreaking in this manner and once he sees it's working he should become a believer. Your yorkie wants to please you and this method will give him an opportunity to do so. Your puppy will be much happier and so will you !
Praise profusely when your pup potties in the correct place, either outdoors or on the pad. Cheer, dance, and give a treat. Your pup will learn to work for the attention and treats.

I would ignore the accident site and take the pup to the pad/outdoors and say (nicely) "potty here." Then be sure to clean the accident site with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle to remove the smell so that your pup won't be tempted to return and potty there again.

Work hard on your boyfriend to convince him that positive reinforcement will yield better results in potty training and will make for much happier pup. Consider putting your pup in an xpen with a piddle pad when he is home alone with your boyfriend, or contain him in one room with babygates.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!