View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Shatzie - Can't let you critize me on this one. First of all, it was the only time I ever even talked harsh to Dutchess in her whole 10-year life. Secondly, I had just been scared to death and I thought the little puppy had been very badly hurt - and thirdly, it was a very spontaneous action of mine -
Also don't picture me beating up my dog. She was (for me to do) spanked very very hard, and I did talk very sternly with her. I also remember putting her little face in my hands and telling her, No no no." I was in tears, scared to death.

I did not physically abuse her. My description of what I did - has to be taken in context with the situation - and also taken in context with the kind of person I am. My spanking her very very hard and shaking her and telling her, "No no no" didn't amount to as much as you make it sound. Because it was "me." I have seen a hundred people spank their dog harder for running out into the street because they might get hit by a car. What I did lasted less than a minute - because I quickly picked up the little puppy to see if it was okay.

I am being honest when I say that I have spanked only one dog in my life and it was because it almost killed a little puppy.

I know the reason my discipline was so effective with her was because she had never had a spanking her life or been talked to sternly before. If I hadn't been stern with her, she may have hurt the puppy an hour later or the next day.

I remember thinking to myself after we all got into the house - if this continues, I just can't keep this puppy. Dutchess has to come first, and if she can't accept the puppy and is going to be mean to it, I'll have to find another home for it. That would have been a sad state of affairs - but - she never hurt it again, and as I said, they became the very best of friends. I mean really good friends. All the neighbors commented for years how you never saw one of them without the other right beside it.

Dutchess had to be put to sleep about four months ago. She was very sick and she was 10 years old. The little Bichon really missed her, of course, and he didn't want to eat or play for several months. So, I got another little puppy - the Yorkie. Interestingly, Louie stayed away from the puppy for a few days. By nature, he is very gentle and shy. He was a little jealous, but his way of dealing with it was just to try and be on my lap all the time so the puppy couldn't get there. And, this was wonderful after his two months of just lying around not interested in anything. Well, the puppy drove him crazy and won him over, and now they play constantly. Louie is not only back to himself, but is playing like a little puppy himself again.

Thanks for your reply, but please don't read more into my actions then were there. It is actually my own fault for wording it the way I did. When I read what you had taken out of context, it did sound terrible. I would probably have responded to someone else the way you did to me.

Bye - Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!