View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
abbey46923
Donating YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopster View Post
We had the Home Instead people during my father's final illness. Despite several family members and friends who helped a great deal, i could not have managed to keep Dad at home without the extra help. They were expensive but i could go to work knowing Dad was being properly cared for.

Dad's mind was sharp as a tack until the very end. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to watch your parent forget everything -- it would be like losing them twice. But it was hard watching him fade a little every day and knowing that he KNEW he was going to die any day. Not to mention watching him say goodbye to the many friends who came to see him one last time.

One of the worst parts was that he couldn't take care of even his most basic needs and I ended up being the designated hygiene person. I didn't mind so much, but it was very hard for the dad who took care of me for so long to let me take care of him that way. I caught him with tears rolling down his face a couple of times, but you know he never complained about it even once and always told me how much he was thankful to have me.
I know my mom always feel's bad that i have to do so much for her. Liveing in AS she is responsiable for her own hygiene and i have had to have the talk with her about showering more often, she does wash everyday but that is not always enough. So i do help her with her showers and it is hard for her to let me do it.
abbey46923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!