View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
abbey46923
Donating YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My 89 y/o Father is currently living with us and in the very early stages of dementia. They are not certain how much is beginning dementia and how much is due to the fact that he can't hear! And refuses to get a hearing aid.

He actually is doing pretty well; considering we just moved him here from another state - all strange surroundings.

He decided, on his own, that he would not drive here - a good decision, I think. But his memory is gone; he can't remember five minutes later what you told him or he told you. He can no longer write checks or balance his checkbook; but he is aware of that.

We have people from "Home Instead" come 3 days a week to help him to his laundry (I work full time and am running a lot with my teen-age son); they also take him out for lunch; to get a haircut; to the bank; whatever; whereever he wants to go.

I could not have him here without help like that.

It is sad to see my strong, former Army Officer father - slowly decline.

Best of luck to all who are caring for elderly parents, in-laws, etc.
you are very lucky to have an 89 yr old father still doing so well, although i am sure you see the difference in him and it is hard to cope with.
My mom is 75, still young i think and she should be enjoying her retirement years but sadly she isn't. She would love to be on the go, traveling, shopping ect. but she just can't go anywhere alone. She still has highschool friends that she see's and traveled with in the past and she still wants to go with them.
Thankfully i do have 2 older daughters that help me with mom, and the oldest one is more into the medical field, if not for her i would not have gotten mom off all of the psych meds. and she would not be where she is now.

Good luck with your father.
abbey46923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!