View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
abbey46923
Donating YT Addict

Unhappy Dementia and careing for our parents?

Is anyone else going through this? I was reading "Salazark" post about her MIL being in the hospital and alot of what she is going through, I have been through also with my mom. I tend to get very long winded about this subject so thought i would start a new post in case other people have gone through the same thing. Is this becomeing an epidemic with our elderly parents or other family members?
Also with so many people being diagnosed with Dementia/Alzhimer do you find that there are not nearly enough facilities to care for these family members and to care for them properly? I know the medical world has had to cut back on staffing and facilities and programs ect ect just like many other jobs have, but these are human beings, our parents and other family members that we love.
I know my mom was in a nurseing home and i had to demand that she be taken care of properly and once they knew i was serious and i was watching and what i expected of them then they shaped up. Needless to say my mom is no longer in that NH. But it is very hard to find good places for them to live in due to the fact that some of the meds can make them in mobile or maybe they have violent mood swings, therefore only places like state run NH will take them, those that will take almost any type of medical situtation.
I am happy to say that my mom has come a long way and is now liveing in a assisted liveing place, but everytime she gets sick she reverts back so we are constantly keeping track of her medical issues trying to keep her well so she can continue to live there but it is a up hill battle and each time she gets sick she is that much closer to having to move. I know the best answer is to have her live with me, but like so many other's with the economy the way it is i have to work full time. It just breaks my heart to see my mom going through this and she is aware of her situation and tries so hard to be independent but i see her getting so tired. My mom is only 75 yrs old and we have been dealing with this for almost 5 yrs.
Anyone else going through this and do you think it is becoming an epidemic for our elderly parents, and are there enough facilities to properly care for them?
abbey46923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!