View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Islandcanine
Senior Yorkie Talker

I never knew anything about this when I got my dog. One day I felt a lump on her neck area. I took her to her doctor and in amongst the situation he asked if I had her glands done. I said glands? Nooo. So he explained and did them. They were quite full.
The lump on her neck went away.
We continued to go on the intervals the doctor told us too.
She had been sometimes scooting previous too.
Each time I went, the glands were full.
I started to notice around the time she needed to go, her eyes would get a bit goopy and her breath would start to turn funny.
The morning after the day we'd get her glands done, her eyes were better and her breath back to normal again.
I was concerned about my dog having to go in to have her glands done every three to four mnths.
Someone told me to take some oat bran and sprinkle on her food in the mornings. In doing so I have noticed a huge difference when she goes in to have her glands done again.
Not as full.
Since we moved. Her doctor claims that a dog does not express their glands when having a bowel movement. That oat bran wouldn't make a difference. Perhaps not but then why is there less to express on the regular intervals?
I too get only the vet to do her glands while she is in to also have her nails done.
As you can tell from my pups mug, she doesn't see a groomer. I brush her several times a day. My sister is a groomer if i want her hair cut.
The same vet asked me why I bring my dog in to have her glands done. I told her that it is because she has a history of scooting. The vet agreed then that it is a good idea to bring her in every four months to have them expressed. Better to be safe than sorry.
I can generally tell when she needs her glands done. Since they are not as bad now as they were originally, I take her when she shows signs of needing it doen. Usually by her eyes and breath, before she even starts scooting.
It is just a good idea to have it done regularly.
I wouldn't try it myself as I don't know what I am doing. Same with her nails, especially since they are black. I rather her be at the doctors when they do it in case something happens and just because they for sure know what they are doing.
We have had a bad experience with a fill in, having her nails done so now we are working getting her over that. Have used a groomer to help with her nails since in hopes we can get her to overcome her now frigid reaction to having them done.

I would not wait until there is a problem because if you wait until say her glands rupture because they have been full, it can run you thousands of dollars. Just take the dog to your vet and have them express her glands in at least four months after the last time and ask how full they were and then ask the vet how often they should be done.
From what I understand if the dog does not have a history of scooting, the dog may not need them expressed at all. Or at least not regularly as say others, such as my own since she does have a history of scooting. Best to talk to your vet, once they have examined your dog and had a chance to talk with you about the dog's history.
Islandcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!