View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
Brenda2349
Yorkie Talker

Hi.. I think I have finally gotten over the hump with Roxy with housebreaking! I used the crate for housebreaking and works everytime! (only ever had big dogs, seemed to take longer with Roxy) I got my puppy at 12 weeks and she used the crate for ALL her sleeping time, as soon as she wakes up..outside she goes..if she pees and poops outside she comes right back in and then we played then back outside and back to the crate for nap time. If she didn't potty we would walk around the yard to tire her back out then back in the crate..if she cried then I would take her back out again. Quite tedious but it works. It may seem cruel but she was only in there when she slept or if I had to go out. I am home all the time so it makes it easier. This is my first time owning a tiny dog but I treat her like my Golden.. but with cute sweaters and coats..lol! People that think that little dogs are prissy and don't like to go outside are very wrong..she loves rain, snow whatever comes.. she is such a mess! I would say 16 weeks and under a crate big enough for just a pad or newspaper and the bed is good. After 16 weeks she seemed to be able to hold it if I wasn't home for 3 hours or more.. because these dogs come in all sizes the length will be different for each. Make sure the spot is in an enclosed area just big enough for her bed and the pad. She will not want to potty in her nice soft bed but pee on the pad. (I saw they sell a reusable pad that looks like grass at bed,bath & beyond) If you want to stick with the pads as she gets older move the pad further away from her bed slowy. These pups are pretty darn smart so I found out! If she had an accident I did take her back to it and tell her bad.. WHY.. they say dont..BUT.. if she did potty somewhere.. she would not walk past it.. she new it was there..they say they forget and won't understand..not Miss Roxy, this was after the 16 week mark... once she realized she was told "bad" in every spot she tried..don't be harsh..they are sensitive little things but she is pottying outside all the time!! And she did try to hide it.. underchairs..behind things..but when she finally realized it wasn't a good thing..outside she goes!! I also use a bell dangling on a door knob close to the ground so before we went out I would get her to touch it with her nose and ring it..then out we would go. Shes not a barker so this works great. I did read this..and it really makes sense.. they said that you should get your puppy to walk to the door..then if you have to pick them up for the steps do so..but they need to learn to walk to the door themselves not be carried outside each time..makes good sense. How else do they learn to go to the door if they get carried out! Roxy is 6 months now and pretty much done with the crate unless we go out. She is even sleeping with us now! Good Luck.. this was just my experience and it worked.
Brenda2349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!